Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Fights I'd like to see this year

Fights I'd like to see this year

I saw a bunch of threads on several forums about fights wanted to be seen, I took the fights I wanted to see and figured I'd comment on them. I'm bored.

Robbie Lawler vs Vitor Belfort, Robbie Lawler vs Anderson Silva, Vitor Belfort vs Anderson Silva - Any of those three fights would be spectacular. Old Vitor is back as Newer Vitor, Robbie is no longer just a brawler, and Anderson is Anderson. I think Anderson takes both of his fights with ease, but Vitor vs Lawler would be a war.

Mike Swick vs John Fitch - I don't know if Swick can hang with Fitch's wrestling, but Swick has the hands and the speed to do some damage before getting taken down. The fight would more than likely end up a decision in Fitch's favour, but Swick has the tools to make it competitive.

Rashad Evans vs Quinton "Rampage" Jackson - If Rampage gets past Jardine, this fight should be set up for UFC 100/101. This fight could go either way, Rashad is slippery, Rampage is a killer, it could end with a early KO or make it's way to decision, no matter what happens, itd be amazing to see.

Alistair Overeem vs Cheick Kongo - I'm not a fan of either guy, so I'd be happy to see either guy lose, but I'd expect Overeem to overpower and outstrike Kongo on his way to a 2nd or 3rd round finish.

Melvin Manhoef vs Robbie Lawler/Vitor Belfort/Anderson Silva - I love watching Manhoef fight, any of the above fights could end early or end up being wars.

Urijah Faber vs Miguel Torres - I don't know if Faber could cut the weight, but with Mike Brown looking unstoppable at Featherweight, I wouldn't mind seeing Urijah move down to take on the Bantamweight phenom.

Cung Le vs Anderson Silva - With only a few fights left in his career (rumoured), I'd really like to see Anderson Silva fight Cung Le. The chances of it happening are slim to none, but I'd still like to see it. Personally, I don't think the fight would be competitive, the main reasoning behind me wanting to see it is so Cung Le fans can be brought down from the clouds. That being said, Cung Le is a very dynamic striker and is incredibly quick on his feet, so you can't count him out completely.

Josh Barnett vs Fedor Emelianenko - This fight is going to happen at Affliction 3, about 3 years too late, but at least it's happening. I fully expect my dreams of seeing this fight to get destroyed by somebody pulling out, but as of right now, I'm excited. Fedor wins, easily.

Randy Couture vs Fedor Emelianenko - Just kidding.

Shinya Aoki vs BJ Penn - Two great ground fighters doing their thing. People say Aoki would get lit up on the feet, but that's what people say any time Demian Maia fights a striker. I like Aoki in this fight, too bad we'll most likely never see it.

Georges "Rush" St. Pierre vs Anderson Silva - The two best fighters in the world not named Fedor. Georges might be giving up 30lbs to Anderson, but he's the new "Master of the Game Plan" and if anybody has a chance to dethrone Anderson, it's Georges.

Diego Sanchez vs Kenny Florian - A TUF 1 Finale Rematch of Epic Proportions. After TUF, Kenny has gone on to become one of the best lightweight fighters in the world, Diego had a tough go at welterweight, so he moved down to Kenny's world. I've become a huge Kenny fan and would very much like to see him avenge the loss.

Renato "Babalu" Sobral/Tito Ortiz/Ricardo Arona - I'm not a fan of any of the guys mentioned here, but I wouldn't mind seeing them throw down. Any combination of the three is fine with me.

Shinya Aoki vs Joachim Hansen III - The rubber match is needed. Aoki destroyed Hansen at the end of 2006, Hansen returned the favour in what I believe to be unfair fashion in the finals of the Dream lightweight tournament. It is my opinion that "fresh" Aoki beats "fresh" Hansen 10 out of 10 times, I'd like to see Shinya get his revenge.

Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante vs Eddie Alvarez - Both guys lost to Shinya Aoki, I thought this fight had been in the works before, I might be wrong, either way, I'd like to see it now.

Fedor Emelianenko vs Brock Lesnar - Some time in 2010, after Brock has matured and proven himself by defending his heavyweight title a couple times.

Andrei Arlovski vs Josh Barnett - After Fedor beats Barnett, Arlovski and Barnett should face off to see who gets Fedor again. Arlovski takes this fight.

Andrei Arlovski vs Fedor Emelianenko II -I'm an Andrei fan and I'd very much like to see him redeem himself for the fairy knee. He looked hot in the first 3 minutes of their first fight and I imagine he would look just as hot in a second fight. I'm not saying he'll win, but I dream of an epic heavyweight title fight and I think Arlovski vs Fedor still has what it takes to deliver.

That's it for now. I doubt we'll see many of the fights mentioned here that aren't already booked, but that's MMA for you.

No comments: